Monday, July 20, 2009

Battle

Everyday we as Christians go into battle, every minute I'm at war.

War against my flesh: Rom 7:18 "I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out."

War against the sometimes "cultural norm": 1 Peter 2:11"Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul."

But above all...

War against a real, true spiritual evil: Ephesians 6:12 "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

But how often do I take a moment and really contemplate this fact? Not only that, but how often do I realize the dire significance of this war?

Hardly ever

However, it all goes back to what I truly believe. If I truly BELIEVED we were in a war wouldn't I be more proactive in how I live? That is why I'm taking this minute of contemplation, to help me refocus and remind myself of this battle. Because If I truly believed that this war was happening; then on a daily, hourly, sometimes minute to minute basis I would be consciously putting on my "armor." Eph 6:11 "Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes."

Just to remind you what our armor is...
  1. Belt of truth
  2. Breastplate of righteousness
  3. Feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.
  4. Shield of faith
  5. Helmet of salvation
  6. Sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
  7. Prayer
Out of all of these, prayer truly seems the most abstract. Paul doesn't try to put it into a metaphoric word picture, he just states at the end of this section to pray. Pray about EVERYTHING!

I've really wanted to expand my prayer life this year. I've read some books, talked to some people, tried a few new things and learned alot during this journey. However, it just baffles me both how powerful prayers is, and yet how underused it is in my life.

At Harvest Bible the main topic of discussion was based on prayer and one of the pastors read some excerpts from "Do You Pray?" by JC Ryle. This was a great article that I'd recommended to all of you. Anyways, It really reminded me what a amazing gift prayer is.

Lately, in my personal life and in my relationships with people I've been more aware of the spiritual battle going on. It's actually kinda scary at times, to know that circumstances beyond your control are at work in my life and the lives of people around me. However, a verse that comforted me today was Psalm 140:7

"O Sovereign LORD, my strong deliverer, who shields my head in the day of battle-"

I'm not alone.
God is fighting my battles.
God is fighting the battles for my friends.
But above all NOTHING is out of His control.

All I have to do is pray. Pray and remember ALL of us are in a battle. Are you ready for battle?


1 comment:

Ayeser said...

I have a good friend who is convinced he heard Satan's voice a couple nights ago. He was about to click on a link he shouldn't have on the computer and a really deep voice drowned out the television and computer and said, "I dance beneath you."

Whether his experience was actually Satan or not is hard to tell, but it was definitely a sobering reminder that spiritual warfare is some serious stuff.

Fortunately God has been pretty clear on what He promises those who put their trust in Him -- He will protect and guide them, yeah-ah.

Anyways, thanks for this blog post, Busses. I will pray for you two before I call it a night.