Saturday, June 2, 2012

Work

Today I prayed over Ryan regarding his work. I thought it was kinda ironic since just a few days ago we met with our Nav shepard (a trusted leader in the Navs that meets with us right now while our regional director is on leave) to do a Bible study on work, lazyness and the balance.

I've always had a hard time resting. I think because I have zillions of ideas that I just NEED to start. Ryan however, I think understands the weight of starting an endeavor and so he patiently waits before starting any new thing. I on other hand care am so fixated on starting something that the thought of what the finished product would actually look like...doesn't even process in my mind. This plays out in almost everything in our marriage. I start it, Ryan finishes. Even in our garden! I literally plant the seeds, but it's Ryan who waters the plants. Now I'm not making any claims to Paul or Apollos, BUT what I am saying is that our roles and wiring are very complimentary. Unfortunately, another word for complimentary can the be the word aggravating.

I keep wanting Ryan to start things and he just wishes I'd focus a little more. We work differently, that's all, right? Praying through this chapter though I began to remember the need for Ryan to finish things AND start them. To work hard and rest well. To know when to engage in work and when to disengage. Our work and our lives can at time be so wrapped up in one another that it can bring challenges into our marriage. I know that Ryan works hard, he teaches me how to rest and helps me remember how to say "no." But I pray that God would continue giving Ryan wisdom in these areas, because it's not easy. It's not easy for any man to balance work and life. And that is why we pray. Because only God can give us that balance.

Ecc 3:1 "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:"

Lord, continue to give Ryan direction and wisdom as we navigate the different seasons of life and work. Show how to balance the two for your glory. 

No comments: