Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Waiting


"Wait"...135 times this word shows up in the Bible. Waiting for land to appear after a flood that just wiped out EVERYTHING. Waiting to talk to the powerful Pharaoh to ask him a request that he will probably laugh at. Waiting for children, years of waiting for just one child. Waiting for the Messiah, the one that suppose to "fix" everything, the Savior, the One.

Waiting, waiting, waiting. God is a big fan of waiting. It's just so hard for me to grasp why. During Elisha's time the King refused to wait on God for the famine to end, so Elisha point blank said, "too bad, so sad. Guess you won't have any food then." And it's true, the king got trampled to death, by his own subjects no less. I do NOT want to be trampled. And maybe I won't if I don't wait, but there are so many stories of people being impatient and it ALWAYS ends up bad. I mean, look at the whole Ishmael deal. Abraham couldn't wait to have his own kid, a kid from Sarah, his wife's stomache. So what does he do? He has a kid with some other chick. Even now, if you look at world news you can see the reprocussions of this decision to be impatient. Muslims verses Jews. It's this crazy mess. And why? Cuz one man didn't wait.

Yep...this is what I hear everyday we are not yet in San Diego. Wait Val, Wait. "But God, we're doing everything we can?! Calling people talking to people, I'm so tired..." I'll say and what does He say?

Ps 27:14
Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD."

Begging I say, "But we can totally be more impactful in San Diego, Lord! Isn't that where we should be?! We want to further your kingdom! isn't that what YOU want? Isn't that what we are suppose to do? I just don't understand." ...and He just says

Ps 37:7
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him...

So I get on my knees and start crying "But it's so hard! I can't do this any longer! Maybe I should just get a part-time job, maybe we're not cut out for this, maybe I should get a job again and Ryan can do the full time gig and...." Then I read

Ps 130:5
I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my
hope.

Hope. My hope is in Him. My hope SHOULD be in Him.

Is 49:23
"...those who hope in me will not be disappointed."

I've been looking at this all wrong. I'm making SDSU some kinda salvation or something. My identity. My desire is now becoming my obsession. So, I think I'm understanding a little better why He asks us to wait. So He makes sure He is always higher then anything else.

So I wait. I pray. I share my burden with others so I don't lose heart. This is a very hard lesson He is teaching us, yet here we are, praying for SDSU, as we wait. Thankfully though, God says through it all we WILL NOT be dissapointed.

No comments: